PUBLICATIONS home HOME > ACTIVITIES & OUTPUT > PUBLICATIONS
TITLE Cyborg Spirituality
NAME °ü¸®ÀÚ HIT 1,011
LINK #1  http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&a¡¦ [790]

Title : Cyborg Spirituality
Date : 2011. 7.
Journal title : Medical History
Author : Andrew Pickering
Contact us : csts@khu.ac.kr
Abstract : This article explores crossovers from Eastern philosophy and spirituality to contemporary science and medicine in the West. My interest is not so much in specific lines of historical transmission, as in the channels through which they flow. In particular, my argument is that different ontologies – visions of how the world is – either facilitate or block such exchanges. As an example, think about physics. The ontology of mainstream physics is a modern, dualist one, inasmuch as physical thought revolves around a material world from which anything human is absent, and the human leftovers fall to the humanities and social sciences. This ontology, more or less by definition, blocks any resonance with Eastern ideas or practices, and, accordingly, they are almost entirely absent from the history of physics, except, importantly, in lines of work on the foundations of physics, especially quantum mechanics. If one meditates on the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, for instance, boundaries between the observer and the observed start to unravel, the dualist ontology erodes, and there, indeed, one finds all sorts of resonances with the East, as elaborated in an endless list of books that includes, for example, The Tao of Physics and The Dancing Wu Li Masters. That is my basic idea: resonances with the East spring forth in Western science whenever modern dualism starts to fray around the edges. But this essay is not about physics, and I turn now to the post-war history of cybernetics in Britain and its rather different non-modern ontology.

Click the following link for downloading the article: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8516736&fileId=S002572730000538X